Main

History of Candler Park

 HISTORY OF THE PARK

 

In 1922, Asa Candler gifted land in the neighborhood to create a City park and golf course in the location where much of it is currently located today. Candler Park park is one of the larger parks in the City of Atlanta and as such offers ample recreation opportunities for many different types of users - from children, to golfers, to bird watchers and festival-goers.

Serving and being central to both Candler Park and Lake Claire means almost 3,000 homes call this space their neighborhood greenspace. The community has a history of activism and the park has been the focus at times. When the State Department of Transportation wanted to create a highway through our neighborhoods, neighbors stood up and let their voices be heard. Because of such engagement, we now have Freedom Park, with its walking/biking path, connecting the Carter Center Library to Candler Park.

The Candler Park greenspace, golf course and other amenities are the eastern terminal point of Freedom Park but the bike/walk path continues on the northern edge of the park and connects with the Olmstead Linear Park on Ponce de Leon Avenue.